Sunday, July 24, 2005

Technology is scary

At first, I was curious and eager to see how many visitors I'd received to my blog, even if they were just lurking.
Then, I got even more curious as to where they came from. When I had my first encounter from someone not on"my" list, nor from "your" list, I realized this isn't a referral-only process. From outside of the loop, someone has seen me. Deep inside me. Somehow, this was a little disturbing.
After pestering a fellow blogger (whom I will not identify unless she agrees) for her secret weapon, I have been able to lurk the lurkers. Sort of. I see several other smart gals out here have the same device. After I noticed I could be (and was) listed in spots (NOT other blog lists, I do appreciate being included on there) where just anybody anywhere could wander in if they felt like it (really, are you THAT bored you just click random links to see what's out there?), I realized I needed to tweak my settings a little.
I don't know why I feel perfectly comfortable talking about wild monkey sex and dead babies in the presence of kindred spirits, but to have the general public know my inner workings gives me the willies. I'm a little strange, in case you haven't noticed. I don't know all the people who live inside my computer, yet somehow I feel a connection in our (sadly, large) circle.
I haven't had any search terms logged; some of the hits seem to have come from a random site generator via blogger, but most of the new hits have been 'referred' from various people on my list that I've visited. Which means they're watching you, too. They find your site, read your stuff, look at the comments, click a link, and the trail just keeps on growing. People from far-flung places, all across the globe. People with sites that are in languages I can't even babelfish into coherent translation. People with seemingly no connection whatsoever to anything I, or the rest of us, write about. Maybe it is just curiosity. It's really not hurting anybody, and no harm has come by it, that I am aware of. It just seems like more than I bargained for. Does that make sense? Did I really expect to keep a certain degree of anonymity? If that was important to me, then why the hell would I be sharing the nitty gritty of my life with, apparently, the entire world?
Now, if the hot guy in the tank top with those wicked tats wants to comment on my elongated menstrual cycle, I would welcome his insight. Not sure what to say about the visits from Big Brother, but I guess he really is watching after all. Yay Patriot Act, go America! And to my repeat visitor from Stafford, do I know you? Stop in and say 'hey'. :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

It's easy to forget that the internet is not an isolated place, isn't it? That anybody - anybody! - can access and read your stuff is a bit daunting, and a bit exciting, at least to me. It's almost like being a published author, or at least I like to think so. Keep it up.

Sun Jul 24, 11:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

You've made me a bit paranoid, now -- thanks a lot, lol! I'm with you on being wary about sharing your menstrual cycles with the general public. I'm going to have a look 'round and see if I can do a bit of "tweaking" myself...

Mon Jul 25, 09:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i really need to get around to tracking our visitors, but in the mean time, it's not like i'm not lurking elsewhere, too. for example, there's a dr driller out there who is blogging about his attempts to get laid via internet connections. it would be an insult to pigs to call this man one. a world-class oinker. what he writes about the women he encounters makes me worry for the future of the human race. and i'm pretty sure when he writes about it he doesn't think of *me* reading it.

Mon Jul 25, 06:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Yeah I have noticed a few comments left on my blog by people I have never heard of. Kind of interesting to lurk on THEIR blogs and see that they have nothing at all to do with anything I have ever talked about, so why are they interested in me??? It really bugged me, but I don't really have a clue what to do about it. Very creepy.

Mon Jul 25, 10:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jillian said...

Well now you have written this post, can I officially introduce myself? I'm Jill from Australia and have been on many comment pages with you:)

Catherine has actually invited me to join your TTC in October club too.

I just put that tracker thingy on my blog too and I'm a bit disturbed by it and don't want to know but just keep looking.....

Tue Jul 26, 10:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks Jill, nice to meet you; I have seen you around for a while! Do you have a blog? I didn't notice a link in your profile, or I would have added you by now.
You're more than welcome to join in the end-of-year conceptionfestapalooza. Any others? There's safety in numbers.

Wed Jul 27, 01:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jillian said...

Julie, my blog is www.agreatbighole.blogspot.com.

Thanks for the welcome:)

Wed Jul 27, 07:32:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home