Saturday, July 23, 2005

The weekend update

The princess and the satellite dish. There just aren't words to describe my poor babydawg. She now is sporting an enormous cone collar, and looks quite goofy. The vet (omg, the vet. yum.) had to shave her rash area, which only adds to her humiliation. The area of irritation is at the rear, where her back and tail meet, and of course, on her rear. So, I have had to make the standard joke, repetitively, at her expense. They shaved her ass, and made her walk backwards. Blank stares. No one laughs. Is it that lame? I mean, really, c'mon. I just don't think they get it. Killjoys.
Anyway, it is not mange. Nor fleas. Nor any other kind of parasite. It is not spreading, and her brother, bigdawg, doesn't have any skin problems. We are leaning towards allergies of some sort, but, she was already on prednisone when this developed! Doc had given both the dogs medications for general itchiness when we were leaving for OKC. Nearly three weeks (tapering down doses) of this stuff, and she develops this rash midway through. It didn't keep it away, nor did it soften the severity of the mystery funk. Doc was confused. (Are you sure you administered it correctly?) Please. I am as obsessive as they come, you can guarantee I gave it right. We've used it before. Hmmm. ...maybe the dose wasn't strong enough. He cultured the crud. He expressed her anal glands. He was grasping at straws. So, now we have a little mutt with a big cone, a bald butt, hopped up on steroids. And she keeps running into stuff. She looks so sad.
----------------------
Have to take my vehicle in for some expensive-sounding repairs. For a while now, it has been making these squeaky springy metallic sounds that make me worry my front end is just going to fall off one day. At first, I deluded myself that the running boards were just loose, and I would crank the radio up and ignore it. I can't take it anymore, so I'm dusting off the credit card and we're going in. Hubster is not home this weekend, and I'm working 9 days straight after this weekend, so I really do need my wheels. I hope it is quick and painless. I need a break.
----------------------
Am currently making the transition from my old job into my new job. Foolishly doing the 'overlapping' thing where a day off here means I'm available there. And I wonder why I burn out. I'm excited about this new opportunity though. I worked in a similar situation last summer, and enjoyed it completely. I'll share the details at a later time, I am sure. Don't want to jinx it. Oops, I probably just did with saying that. Durn it.
----------------------
Got my order from MyForeverChild.com the other day. Oh, how I love retail therapy! I tried to take some pics to share, but I'm having 'puter problems... more on that later. I ordered some gold drop-style angel earrings with Nick's birthstone, and a crystal suncatcher with these cute little baby footprints on a heart charm. Very nice. I have a list of other things I want, but I will have to wait. Momma's got a birthday coming soon, though.... hmmm.
----------------------
I have a five year old Compaq. Top of the line when purchased, POS by the time it got out of the box. You know how it goes. One of the things I like about Compaqs is the ease of upgrades. It has very user-friendly slots inside for adding all sorts of goodies. Well. My latest endeavor was a new ethernet card and changing out my CD-rom for a CD/DVD-rom, and switching my 4x burner for a 48x. (This was about a year ago, gimme a break. I'll get a new system before I upgrade that again.) And did I mention my floppy drive is toast? Rarely used, it just died of neglect. RIP. Anyhoo... My USB ports on the front somehow got loose, and when I try to hook up my card reader, I have to jimmy around with it to keep the port from falling down inside. One would think I could just open 'er up and fix the problem, huh? Naw. I have this massive corner-style computer desk with a handy little cpu cubby on the side. What Compaq failed to do, is include long enough cords for all my little accessories, so I'm pretty much tethered in here really tight. Unless I'm feeling adventurous, I do not enjoy having to crawl around on my belly in the dark trying to unhook everything so I can haul the thing out for a seemingly minor repair. I'm lazy, I'll admit it.
-----------------------
Promised myself I was going to control the jungle that is my yard this weekend. If I'm going to be grounded at the house while the chariot is under repair, I might as well make good use of my time. Bought a new spool for the weedeater, and some really wicked vegetation killer to murder the crap growing between the bricks of my sidewalk and rear driveway. Going to put the boy to work, too. He owes me a few hours of labor, and I'm going to cash it in. If I can get away with wearing my swimsuit while I work, I might even get something like a tan. Ahhh... the thought of cut grass stuck to my sweaty thighs. Maayyyybe not.
-----------------------
Thinking we might go see some artsy entertainment next weekend. I do happen to be off opening night, but I might wait until the end. Not sure. Our local community theatre troupe does Shakespeare in the Park every summer, and this year, they are doing "Love's Labour's Lost". I know a couple of the actors; I always wanted to audition.
-----------------------
Well, kiddos, that's about all for this report. Hope ya'll have a tremendous weekend. Cheers!

3 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

We had the creeping dog crud around here for a while. Turns out is was a skin mold and a resulting allergy to said mold. It was GROSS! Doc shaved it and gave us some anti-itch stuff and some antibiotic and it cleared up. Oh...it could also actually be an allergy to the prednisone. (Just throwing out ideas here)

Anyway...I engaged in some weed whacker therapy today and it really helped my attitude. Have fun killing those weeds!

By the way...retail therapy is my FAVORITE form of therapy. :o)

So when's the big birthday?

Sat Jul 23, 06:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

We had a beagle that was allergic to FLEAS. That was a fun one!! He has to go get cortozone shots from time to time and we have to be very consistant with the advantage to avoid the bites.

Glad you got to order from myforeverchild!! I haven't had the extra money lately. Was the stuff really nice? Or cheesy quality? I was assuming it would be nice stuff, but ya never know.

Sat Jul 23, 09:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Catherine... 8/17. Start booking the entertainment now. ha.
When is yours?
Julie... it really is very nice quality. Individually made upon order. I'm wearing the earrings today and already got two comments on the unique design. Sue is very nice, I told her I found her thru your post. Thanks.

Sat Jul 23, 09:54:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home