Monday, August 22, 2005

I had a dream (edited)

(Edited version, 11am - I previously left out some other weirdness).

For whatever reason, we were part of a large crowd of people, all milling around outside of a large convention center-type building at night. There was a large concrete patio area, with plenty of steps and ramps (with handrails) and walls at an appropriate height for sitting around mulched greenery boxes. We seemed to be just hanging out, rather than waiting for something.
As the sun began to rise, a black man (who reminded me of Scatman Crothers from the Shining) began calling out like the town crier "Day-light! Get inside! Day-light! Hurry-up!" - not in a panic, just mater-of-factly, sort of like a porter ("All aboard!).
We all filed inside, not in the most orderly fashion of course, and I kept reminding people (loudly, impatiently) to "close the doors!". Some people would forget, so I had to march over there and make a big production out of shutting the doors and windows, to show them how it should have been done properly the first time. Oddly, I never locked any of them.
Inside, this building reminded me of a large train station or cathedral. There were four of us sitting on some chairs; my husband was immediately to my left, my former sometimes-best 'friend' from high school was on the far right, and seated between Traci and I was a gentleman who seemed to transform between a Middle-Eastern looking man and Pierce Brosnan. Actually, other than the occasional Remington Steele appearance, somehow I knew this man to be a physician, though he never alluded to such, I just 'knew' it in my mind. This is my dream, so what can I say. To further the enigma, even though I did not address him as such, I knew his name to be "Gupta" (in my head, not the dream, figure that one out, I dare you), and he was from India. Although, I digress in that unnecessary description, as it never was even an issue in the dream, somehow I feel it may be a point in the back of my mind. Whatever.
So, it seems we all had to bunker ourselves inside, since it was now morning, because there were flesh-eating zombies due to make an attempt at consuming us shortly. These particular zombies were somehow repelled by the night, and thrived on Vitamin D or something. And they couldn't cross over a threshold if the door was simply shut. Yeah, I'm creative.
One of the late arrivals was this gal, who just HAD to stop and get some fresh-baked bread. She had run out to a nearby Subway to purchase some of their tasty loaves. For starters, I have never met her, so other than identifying the picture on the blog with the woman in my dream, somehow I just knew it to be Julie. Secondly, I was not hungry at the time, nor am I overly fond of Subway sub rolls, but the bread smelled So.Damn.Good. And she sure was proud of it, too. She took her bags of buns around to show people, and offered little tastes. Such a nice gesture. Even if she did almost make me late in shutting all the doors. Sheesh.
Traci was flirting with the guy between us like the little ho-bag she is, and he seemed to be dishing it out to both of us rather freely. I, of course, ignored the advances because my husband was right there, but I did find him mildly exotic and curiously tempting. The guy turned to my husband (G) and me, and said "You know, studies have shown that - given the opportunity - a woman would be more likely to cheat on her husband with his best friend, rather than a complete stranger". G became incensed, loudly questioning why Dr. 007 would feel the need to even MAKE such an inappropriate comment. Dr. 007 simply shrugged and stated, "All I'm saying is, they have fingers, too". I spoke up, arguing that perhaps it had less to do with desperation and accessibility than the notion that, as one's best friend goes, they possibly were more alike in many ways, and it had more to do with commonalities and comfort, somehow.
At this point, the subject matter changed to G and I discussing the pros and cons regarding the provision of current events media and learning materials for prisoners.
And then I woke up.

WTF was that all about? Anyone care to offer analysis?

13 Comments:

Blogger Ann Howell said...

"All I'm saying is, they have fingers, too". Quite right, lol! (???!) While never wanting to read too much into dreams (on some level I think they're just nature's way of keeping us occupied so that we stay asleep), could it be that "daylight zombies" represent your fear of life, the future, or floppy sunhats? The flirty doctor could represent simply your OB/GYN (since he has to deal with your sexual parts). It's a very amusing dream, whatever it means. Last night I dreamt about rejecting a marriage proposal from my aunt's ex-husband. The thing that worries me is that in my dream, I seriously considered the proposal!

Ann

Mon Aug 22, 12:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Catherine said...

Did you eat something spicy before bed?

Mon Aug 22, 04:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

LMAO, I would be interested in knowing what this one means too!! Wonder if there is anything on http://anycities.com/user/dreaminterpretation/index.html#i that site about it??

Oh have you seen that there is a new show on Discovery Health that has people anaylizing dreams??? Can't think of what it is called, but it was seriously cheesy!

Mon Aug 22, 08:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i wouldn't want to touch the analysis of that one, but i would like to point out dr sanjay gupta, cnn's physician-in-residence or something like that; maybe you're thinking of him. i'm guessing he's half-indian and half-caucasian, but whatever he is, he is hot and can be quite suave. he reports on health issues for cnn and has a feature on cnn.com called "ask dr gupta" or something ("the doctor is in!"), and he also hosts the one-hour, looping health show that plays continually in my ob's office (and my primary's office. and the ultrasound lab. and the bloodwork lab. and so forth.). all i'm saying is, if he were my dr., they wouldn't need to use the ky on me before an exam.

Tue Aug 23, 07:33:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

"the doctor is IN". ::snicker::

Tue Aug 23, 10:55:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

LMAO at Laura's last sentence... haha!

Can't offer any analysis but it's an interesting one. (sorry I'm late in welcoming you back, too...)

Tue Aug 23, 05:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Reese Dixon said...

Sorry, I can't offer any insight into this one, just wanted to say that I have crazy ass dreams every single night. So you're not alone.

I just had a dream that my husband's best friend was telling me jokes with his arm around my shoulder. That's pretty racy for me!

Tue Aug 23, 07:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jillian said...

Hey, welcome home:)

Well now I am laughing at this little discussion...women have fingers too and Laura needs no KY for Dr Gupta's two-fingered glove challenge...

I have always maintained that a women's locker room would be FAR worse than a men's one. Ya think?

I think the door thing is about control, the daylight is where your true nightmares reside rather than in the darkness like most people's but thank god for Julie who is feeding the masses leaving you to simply deal with the two men who will get you knocked up one day. Don't know about Traci though - being that you have made her seem slightly hussy-ish, I take it she has no fertility probs to speak of and has had 'accidental' pregnancies and is still trying to get more for herself by taking the OB from you. Was she like that in high school too? OK - I am adding lots of details which aren't there. No doubt Traci is more convent material than I have suggested;)

Tue Aug 23, 09:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Aug 23, 09:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i got to watch my beloved dr gupta today while i waited for my ultrasound. apparently, he has an hour-long health issues show on cnn on the weekends. i may have to get cable...

Wed Aug 24, 01:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

I was not previously aware of Dr. Gupta, so I did a search.
Not the man in my dream - but he'll certainly do in a pinch. Thanks!

Thu Aug 25, 01:12:00 AM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i would welcome being in a pinch with dr gupta. i'm sure justin would understand, should the opportunity ever present itself.

Thu Aug 25, 05:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

ok, then, count me in. i'm sure there's something beneficial to group therapy.

Thu Aug 25, 05:48:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home