Friday, September 09, 2005

Curiouser

I scheduled my first prenatal intake appointment with surprising ease. I always thought it unusual that they make you wait until 8-10 weeks before they want to see you, and even then, you just get the nurse. I was not able to bypass the system and go straight to the good doc, and as such, made my little sit-down-and-talk-about-prenatal-care-stuff appointment, for Sept. 23rd. Being "about 7 weeks" by that point, I was pleasantly surprised, but said nothing to push it back farther.
I had not heard back about scheduling my next beta, so I phoned the office today to inquire about my next draw. The nurse called to inform me that he was "so pleased" with my previous result, that there really was no need for further blood work. I asked about needing/wanting to see that nice number rising, and she said it's already high enough for having been 4w3d when it was drawn, that he is confident.
As a matter of fact, says she, he wants to schedule me for an ultrasound in two week's time. I told her of my intake appointment, and we were able to get the back-to-back on the same day. Yay! 7 weeks.... I forget what you can see at that point.
I completely forgot to ask her WHY he wanted to do the ultrasound, but I'm sure it's just to make sure all looks well. The scheduler was grilling me about the "why", too. I told her I'd hold while she asked. She just gave me the appointment and said he'd know why. I guess he would, huh? Dammit, now I wish I knew.
Two weeks to wait. No labs. Just wait. Oh I hope it goes fast.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa P. said...

Maybe he's thinking multiples??

I found this reference to what can be seen at various HCG levels...

Fri Sep 09, 03:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Although this one is better!

Fri Sep 09, 03:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Catherine said...

The perinatologist that we saw said that a seven week ultrasound is the most definitive for dating by size. The later the u/s, the more it can be off. By the end of your pregnancy, an u/s can be as much as three weeks off. Nice to know, huh? If we get pregnant again, he said we'd get in around seven weeks for an u/s for the purpose of dating/size. I'm not sure, but I was told you MIGHT see a heartbeat then, but not really likely until about 10 weeks.

Oooh! This is fun! I don't know if I can wait that long! lol

Fri Sep 09, 03:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Lisa, thanks for the links, I bookmarked them just in case. I wish I was having more hcg's done so I'd have a clue where I was on the scale, but if he's happy, then so am I.
Cathy, I do remember with Nick we saw the HB at around 7 weeks. With both him and the m/c prior, I had bleeding around then. Fingers crossed.

Fri Sep 09, 11:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jillian said...

7 weeks should be pretty certain for a h/b. Or two. Hehehe:) I'll be wishing away the days for you. Ugh, waiting is such a pain!

Sat Sep 10, 07:06:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home