Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Workin' it

Yeah, I still got it.
Talent. Skill. Finesse.
I can turn heads, and elicit comments from guys on the street.
I can parallel park.
Hotdamn!

Pull into the space in front of our neighborhood quickiemart. Busy street, busy time of day, very crowded. Cars coming and going in both directions. People standing on the sidewalk and in other storefronts nearby. Borough workers doing something in the gutter. All I need is milk and bread. One spot to squeeze into.
I pull forward, back it in, and get it right on the first shot. Perfect. Amazing. I mean, I really can parallel park, but usually with an audience that size, I tend to get nervous. Not this time.
Had men calling out to me as I walked away from my perfectly parked vehicle.
"Nice job! Hey, where'd you learn to do that? Can you show my wife how ya do it? Holy shit, did you see that woman? Daaaaamn!"
I blushed, and shaked my groove thang on into the store.
Life is good.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love when you pull off a feat that most people have trouble with (I can't parallel park to save my life)....and in front of men at that! You go girl, shake that groove thang!

Tue Oct 18, 04:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jillian said...

I want a groove thang - will it help me park?

Tue Oct 18, 04:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Yes.

Tue Oct 18, 05:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Show 'em how to do it now!

(I love that we all have the same songs in our frame of reference, for the most part. Yeah yeah.)

Tue Oct 18, 05:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i get panic attacks when i have to parallel park. if we're in a congested area and i'm driving, i get out of the car and justin does it. i barely got my driver's license because i scored a 74 on my driving test - 1 point off for not looking back enough and 25 points off for the whole parallel parking fiasco. so i bow to your greatness.

Tue Oct 18, 06:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I learned to drive in Chicago. I am an expert parallel parker.

My husband, alas, always seems to be at the wheel in situations that necessitate that skill... so then we quickly switch.

Tue Oct 18, 07:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

i feel like a bed feminist for not being able to parallel park.

Wed Oct 19, 10:44:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home