Monday, November 07, 2005

Comfortably Numb

The baby was sent to Mayo for karyotyping. No pathology was done at the hospital.
Dr. Wonderful was both upset and perplexed by the turn of events. In shock, I believe were his words. He was very surprised this baby didn't make it. He was very concerned for me/my state of mind, and showed genuine caring and sadness.
On the physical side of things, I am still passing bits of tissue (retained placental fragments), and due to my low-grade fever and tenderness during the exam, he sent me for labs* to rule out infection.
He had me detail the events repeatedly, from start to finish and back again. He was most pleased with the pictures, which he asked to keep. He kept writing frantically while asking me questions.
He told me this was very unusual. I told him I was an anomaly. He said, an enigma. An enigma wrapped up in a riddle, I replied. We laughed. Good times.
So, either it is chromosomal problems, or "me". We should get the results back in about a month. I see him again in two weeks (not sure why).
My Xanax and I wish you a good night, and a pleasant tomorrow.
---------------
*Edited to add: Dr. Wonderful just called me. Himself. After 7pm. Just to tell me my labs were normal. I love that man.

16 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I won't call if your taking your Xanax to bed. Just know that I'm thinking of you.

Mon Nov 07, 07:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I'm obviously no doctor, but was there any mention of incompetent cervix? Your baby came out so completely, with no visible trauma... makes me think.

I hope you get some rest tonight. (((((hugs)))))

Mon Nov 07, 08:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we're all shocked. The previous post to this one had me in tears.

Mon Nov 07, 08:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger laura said...

a good doctor is hard to find. which of course leads me to, a hard doctor...oh, nevermind.

i would think the followup would be to make sure that you had passed all the tissue fragments, and none had stayed to cause any infection. i'm no doctor (despite my husband's sarcastic accusations to the contrary), but that's what i had to go back for, four weeks after the d&c.

thinking of you.

Mon Nov 07, 09:05:00 PM EST  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Thinking of you, Julie.

Tue Nov 08, 07:25:00 AM EST  
Blogger Anam Cara said...

Julie, I'm thinking of you and sending you (((hugs))). I am so glad that you have nice a kind and caring doctor. It does make an awful situation a bit more bearable. I wish all doctors could be like that.

Tue Nov 08, 12:17:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't read the blogs as much as I used to, but was deeply saddened and...dare I say it, shocked to read was has happened.

There is no getting around how crappy this is, I am so sorry. While there are horrible things going on in the world everyday, the personal nature of this horribleness seems as unbearable as anything. I don't know how you'll get through it, but I know you will.

Tue Nov 08, 01:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

In spite of everything, at least you have such a caring and thoughtful doctor. You're really blessed to have him! I've been thinking about you a lot and telling my DH about you. He said that he couldn't imagine what you must be feeling. I hope the Xanax did the trick. (((Big hug)))

Tue Nov 08, 02:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger VHMPrincess said...

I just found you linked from someone else's site and I just want to say how sorry I am.

Tue Nov 08, 02:06:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your doctor is kind. Thinking of you. A lot.

Tue Nov 08, 03:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jillian said...

Ahh, Dr Wonderful, what a good man. Did he have any theories at all as to what went wrong or did he stop at you being an enigma? I suppose it is better to wait for the pathology to come back before speculating.

Hope you are doing ok - you and your little friend Xanax:)

Tue Nov 08, 05:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger kate said...

just thought i would say i am thinking of you....

Tue Nov 08, 08:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Donna said...

Having no explanation is so frustrating...I hope you can either get an answer or be at peace without one. If it's the latter than you are a better woman that I. Take care.

Tue Nov 08, 08:29:00 PM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

Thank you for checking in Julie, I was thinking of you. I am so glad you have a good dr, they are so hard to come by. (((((((hugs))))))))

Tue Nov 08, 11:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger AJW5403 said...

I just found your blog and wanted to let you know how sorry I am and I really hope you can find some answers.

Wed Nov 09, 11:40:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't have anything remotely good enough to say, yet i can't help but let you know one more person is thinking of you.

Thu Nov 10, 01:51:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home