Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Grounded in Reality

Weird dreams and premonitions. I guess that what you'd call them. Vivid dreams.
Firstly, I've been so freeeeeeking tired lately; I've had two days off in a row, and slept though them both. Sleeping tends to lead to dreaming, and boy howdy have I had some humdingers.
Can I remember their content now? Nope. I used to keep a dream journal... I'm not sure why. It had something to do with meditation and trying to achieve an OBE. Ahhhh.... those innocent days of secret metaphysical experimentation. So long ago. That was before reality moved in and shut down my sixth sense.
Found myself watching Medium on tv. Television, folks. I hardly ever watch TV. I work the late shift, hence missing any primetime shows; daytime tv simply sucks. Anyway, it got me to thinking (scary thought, I know). I used to be very aware of my world, very sensitive to every little nuance around me, within me, without me. I swear to this day I could pick up vibes like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't go so far as saying I could predict the future, but more often than not, if my radar honed in on one person or event strong enough, something was bound to occur. And, much like fortune cookies the newspaper horoscopes, you can read anything you want into the generalizations. So, I entertained myself with thinking I had a gift. I was quite young, you see, and my world hadn't yet fallen apart. Now, I'm quite numb to anything otherworldly. Or, in-this-worldly for that matter!
I remember in my early 20's, a gal I had just started working with had befriended me. One day, I asked her if her mother's name was Elizabeth. It took her a moment to reply, because she always knew her mom as Betty. She probably thought I was nuts, but I told her that I was "seeing" a girl in a yellow dress, next to a cow. A week later, she brought in a picture of her mother, on a farm, in a yellow dress with white daisies on it, but the cows were behind the fence in the background. I never really picked up on any features of "the girl in the dress", it wasn't a three-dimensional vision, just more of a thought I guess. She told me how her mother had died from liver failure a year prior, and she felt so guilty with herself (and angry at the doctors) for not catching on that her mother's self-medicating with too many acetaminophen-containing products were building a toxicity that would eventually kill her. I mentioned that perhaps her mother had something else wrong with her (that led to the medicating behavior), and that was the true culprit. There is no conclusion to this story; we went on about our business, would chat about it on occasion, and she moved on to healing day by day. I never pried any deeper, and she never made me feel like a phenomenon or a creep.
So anyway, fiction like Medium and Final Destination still tantalize me. I'm not a weirdo, I assure you, but my delusions do keep me entertained. Not all of these creepy dreams involve death. Sometimes, I have no idea what is going on or why I'm thinking about a certain person with such intensity. And I have to impress on you very vigorously that I do not suffer from any sort of "magical thinking" or mental disorder that would include a risk of commitment to the local looney bin. I'm just stating what is, or what "was", back when I was immature and quite possibly bored. My current state of "huh?" is probably brought on by sheer exhaustion and... well I guess just sheer exhaustion. Did I mention I'm tired? So, in my new reality, the weirdness is just that, sleep-deprived weirdness, and I easily forget the who's and what's in my dreamworld. Which is a good thing. Because if I see a certain person's mother again tonight, I'm going to have to call her! WooooEeeeeeeOooooooh (cue Twilight Zone music here)

9 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I won't say anything about me and my thoughts cause then you'll think I'm weird and never talk to me again...but I'll tell you I get it.

Thu Aug 31, 02:42:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Trust me, you're far from weird; and thanks for the comment, I was begining to think my B.O. flared up again.
Truth be told, I have a hunch more people than want to admit it have these thoughts, but... you know.
You should go ahead and share!

Fri Sep 01, 01:04:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

I don't think you're weird! I get odd premonitions every now and then, but they're usually very pedantic (for example, yesterday as I was walking down to the garage to pick up my car that had just been serviced, for a split second I could see myself making the return journey on foot. Sure enough, as I was pulling out of the garage parking lot in my newly serviced car, I hit a huge rut and broke a shock, thus disabling the vehicle. I had to limp the car back into the lot and they kept it overnight, thus I did end up walking back home...). You're obviously a lot more in tune with the universe in general than I am :)

Fri Sep 01, 08:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Diana said...

I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I have dreams that always end up playing out in real life...and I'll test myself and say (in my head) what so-and-so is going to say or what car will drive by...and it happens. I weird myself out with this.
Let's see if I didn't scare you with that alone I'll share more...

Fri Sep 01, 10:12:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Ann - sorry about the car! :( But those are the kind of thoughts that make one wonder, huh? Deja vu? Or just dumb luck?
Diana - keep going! I'm enjoying this.

Fri Sep 01, 12:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie, I have the feeling I used to be more in tune with things too, although I don't think I ever experienced it as directly as you did.

Fri Sep 01, 01:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger DD said...

Sooo...any premonitions that include you and I; or just me? C'mon. Humour me. I obviously need it.

Sat Sep 02, 10:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I SO do not think you are weird!! My other half, Mr.P... has similar things occur to him on a regular basis. I've learned to listen to and trust these types of things...

Mr.P used to brush these things aside until one of his premonitions came to pass on the day he had it... unfortunately... the premonition involved the fact that the brother of someone he knew would lose their life in a helicopter crash. And they did. That day. This still haunts him to this day...

Sun Sep 03, 12:39:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Diana said...

I'll have to e-mail you sometime...

Tue Sep 05, 10:27:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home