Sunday, August 13, 2006

Jerry-rigging it

I'm preparing my morning tub o'coffee, when I feel a small drop of water on my bare feet. I figured I splashed from the sink. It happened again. There was no water on the counter, none under the cabinet, what the.... I looked up. There, seeping from the previously damaged, cracked and peeling bulge in the ceiling, was a nice-sized new water stain and a string of pearls ready to drip, drip, drip the day away.
Dammit.
Just two short days ago, in a moment of supreme levity, the hubster and I snuggled on the couch and marveled at how "ordinary" our lives have been recently. We joked that we were "bored" without some crisis or stressor hanging around. He began planning out the next big "project", the next several years, big purchases, our retirement. I, on the other hand, have a hard time planning out next WEEK, so I started to put on the brakes. Slow down, I cautioned, something else will come along - it always does. Such is our life.
Dammit.
There I go, jinxing things again. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, this is so amazingly minor I'm almost amused by it. Our bathroom needed fixed anyway. I have the floor tiles already. The bandaid style repairs we have attempted in the past finally caught up with us. Now, we have to go all-out and fix it the right way.
We chose the tub, the surround, the sliding shower doors, the faucets and shower heads. I *tried* to wager for a new vanity countertop, but failed. We enlisted the help of a large, slow man the hubster knows to give us a little extra muscle. Beer and steak are wonderfully enticing forms of payment. So is gas money. Ergo, The Boy shall also assist.
Tomorrow, the men are going to get the drywall, plywood, 2x4s, glue, nails, screws, paint, etc. I have to find somewhere else to be during this project. Much swearing will be enjoyed by all. I'm getting up at 7am to remove "all my shit off the counters" and rescue the fluffy bath towels before we commence the destruction. In the end, I will have new floors and walls and a neat-o new tub to clean. I'd bitch about having to clean shower doors again, (our more recent version of the bathroom from hell included a crappy shower curtain - all but duct taped to the walls to seal it) but I did luck out and get the pretty doors I wanted for just slightly more than the plain frugal choice du jour.
Now I am looking forward to fighting the drywall dust that will invade every crevice of my home. I might need new carpet after this. And I know I need new drapes....
see what you started, oh dear husband of mine?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kellie said...

LOL... you NEVER speak of retirement and "big purchases".

At least you got the shower doors you wanted and it sounds like you got a little shopping out of it... so some good did come.

Wed Aug 16, 12:21:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home