Thursday, August 10, 2006

People Of The Corn

That was.... interesting.
I drove about an extra 50 miles trying to find the conference center, find the motel, find a liquor store, find the motel again, a place to eat, another route to the conference center, and finally realized - there's only a few hours of sunlight left! I must get to the pool! With a mountain dew bottle full of firewater! And a pillow! Stat!
Alas, I did not get a tan. Damn SPF 30. What I *did* do was bleach out irregular areas of my orange faux-tan-in-a-bottle skin. Yeah. I look hot. I took care to protect my color-treated hair (slathered on a deep conditioner and put it up in a bun). It would take two separate washings to release the slime. Ick.
The room was absolutely adequate. It had a bed, and A/C. And a TV with CABLE! Allowing me 7 whole channels to choose from, including one shopping and two spanish-speaking networks. And the plumbing flowed forth with clean water. Can't complain.
Met up with some nice folks at the pool. One family was from Israel; they had flown into SF a few weeks ago, and spent some time out West before heading to DC. Na'im me'od. Why had they chosen here, of all places, to stop? She said they wanted to visit Hamesh. I said Hmm? She said, you know, the Hamesh, with the horses. Ohhh, I say, the Amish, the Mennonites, the "locals". Yes. And how long will it take them to get to DC, did I think? I have no idea, I'm from the other edge of the state... 3, 4, 5 hours? She didn't believe me. And I honestly did not know.
So anyway, that's that for my business trip; I'm back, and well rested, and looking forward to visiting to northern part of the state next week. I'm such a rolling stone.

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Congrats on passing your boards!

Thu Aug 10, 02:05:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kathy McC said...

Yay for passing boards!!!

Thu Aug 10, 05:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

My parents are from Lancaster County, so I got to see the Hamesh up close and personal a lot when I was growing up. It always seemed a bit odd to me that people would want to come and visit them, like lions in the zoo... "We will now observe the Amish in their natural habitat. Watch as the one they call Mr. Pflaumkuchen drives his buggy very slowly down the road..."

And congrats on passing your boards, that's great news!!!

Thu Aug 10, 06:51:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home