Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Snow Daze

Hey! It's winter. There is snow. And it is cold.
Monday morning I woke up to my weather bug telling me it was (-8) degrees, with a windchill factor making it (-35). MINUS THIRTY-FIVE, people.
School was closed. As it is again for Tuesday. If I have to drag MY ass out of bed and drive to work, I find little excuse why the kids can't go get some learnin'. Something about frostbite at the bus stop or something. Whatever.
Actually, I *do* happen to be scheduled off these two snow days, so The Boy and I are taking every last advantage of them. Together. He's kinda fun to hang with.
Today, we ate chips and ice cream and watched movies all day. Tomorrow, I might need to do some laundry and perhaps cook something nourishing for my poor neglected child. We plan to brave the cold and go OUT to a movie, and/or bowling, and maybe go to the mall.

And this is one of those times I sit back and take in all that I have, and am at peace. I can sleep in. As a matter of fact, I can get several hours of uninterrupted sleep in a row. If absolutely necessary, the kid can fend for himself (I taught him how YEARS ago). He can be left unattended. If mom has to work late, it is not a major crisis. I don't have to worry about day care, babysitters, rides to places, pick-up times, play dates, other mommies... it's pretty cool.
I have a conference on Wednesday that will take me many miles away from home. I will be gone from 6am until 6pm - at least - and Big G is in Va. My main concerns are 1) will The Boy get up in time for school 2) does he have enough gas in his vehicle 3) will he be safe driving on all this ice, and 4) will I be back in time for his hockey game? Seventeen years ago, I would have declined to attend this conference. I would be fretting about who could watch him, for how long, were they reliable, would I have to switch up caregivers mid-day, and of course there would be all the packing of diapers and bottles and food and clothes and toys and worrying that he missed me and how bad of a mommy I was for putting my career first; then there would be the mad dash for dinner and bath and bed on my return, I would be exhausted, and cranky, and ARGH!
Don't need the drama.
Life is good.

I am feeling a little bit of the empty-nest syndrome creeping up on me, though. He will be 18 in March. He graduates in June. The plan is for him to hook up with dad and join the apprenticeship, taking him back to Va as well. Which leaves me all alone. Once my contract is up, we could/will consider moving out of Mayberry and back to civilization (or the boondocks, but in which state is the burning question). I'm not sure I will know what to do with myself and all the free time an empty house will give me. Sure, they'll be back to visit on most weekends. And I have the dogs. I'll probably get a few cats. Take up a hobby. Try new hairdos and grow my nails. Or - good lord - clean. The possibilities are astounding.
I do like cats an awful lot.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

So, this is a decision right? The way you describe your life right now sounds pretty ok y'know? The imminent possibilities also sound pretty ok. Just so long as you are at peace with whichever way forward you choose, I'll be over here cheering you on:)

Tue Feb 06, 07:17:00 AM EST  
Blogger kati said...

Julie, I am so glad you posted again. I was wondering you were doing. Sounds like you're having a good time with the Boy - at least for the present.

I feel similar about making decisions about further children. I would like it to be my own choice, not something that is decided for me by random (?) life events. It's so hard to not have any control over this important part of my life.

take care.

Wed Feb 07, 11:31:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home