Saturday, February 10, 2007

There just aren't words. Seriously.

It has taken me two days to obtain all the various forms of information available, and to process this situation both professionally and personally. Personally, I am an angry, vindictive bitch. Professionally, I have removed myself from the situation and my supervisor is acutely aware of the need to do so.
There are limitations to what I can discuss with anyone outside of my department, but here's the gist of it...
A dangerously psychotic patient, seven months pregnant, self-aborted her baby into a toilet. Unspeakably cruel actions were performed. There are many issues as to how and why this managed to occur, but the fact is it did, and everyone involved in the process was debriefed and counseled over a period of two days. Because of laws protecting everyone but that poor innocent baby there is no media involvement (thank my lucky stars), and the authorities are prevented from taking action at this time (involuntary committal and all that bullshit).
Ya think she'll get off for "insanity"?
Will I?

9 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Oh my god. Oh, Julie. I just don't know what to say, but I want you to know that I'll be thinking about you. I am so, so sorry that you have to deal with something like this. This is terrible. Beyond terrible.

Sat Feb 10, 08:44:00 AM EST  
Blogger kate said...

Jesus H. Christ. You are right, there aren't words. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I didn't quite understand your statement at the end -- has she been 'involutarily committed'?

I will be thinking of you, this is just so horrifying and unspeakable.

Sat Feb 10, 09:39:00 AM EST  
Blogger Julie said...

Yes, she was; this occured on the inpatient psych unit.
Thank you all for your thoughts.

Sat Feb 10, 10:42:00 AM EST  
Blogger kati said...

Julie, I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

Sat Feb 10, 01:21:00 PM EST  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

Oh my god, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. (((Big hug)))

And I hate to say it, but I do feel sorry for that poor woman. She obviously was/is seriously disturbed to do such a horrible thing and I'm sure it will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Sun Feb 11, 06:33:00 PM EST  
Blogger Diana said...

OMG.

Mon Feb 12, 11:59:00 AM EST  
Blogger DD said...

Jesus! I want to know HOW this happened! I know you can't tell me, but WTF??!!

I'm sorry, but I seriously hope she never makes it to court. You can call me vindictive.

Tue Feb 13, 05:21:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jillian said...

Jesus christ. So much to say, but just glad you have been removed from the front line.

Sun Feb 18, 08:15:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie, that is horrifying. Utterly horrifying. I'm so sorry you were confronted with that, I can't even imagine the horror.

I am so sorry I am only just catching up now -- for some reason Bloglines wasn't notifying me of your new posts.

Mon Feb 19, 01:58:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home