Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Birthday Wishes

Happy Birthday to my little darling baby boy - today you turn 18 years old! It seems like just a short time ago I was wiping snot from your nose and kissing your boo-boos. Now, you're driving my car and asking for money. You used to ask me for help with your spelling words, now you need advice regarding your girlfriend. You have plans for the future, a job, relationships... you are a man. Where did the time go? I remember the day you were born. Am I that old already? There are times I wish I could take back, days I should change, minutes not spent with every moment dedicated to you. I should have cleaned less and played more. So what if we'd read that book a gazillion times already? Someday I won't be able to read to you anymore. You still remember our song... when it comes on the radio, you point it out to me. You remember how I'd sing to you at night, rubbing your arm until you fell asleep. You remember the silly things, the good things, and even the sad things. You don't mention the mistakes I've made along the way, though I'm sure there are plenty. You're not embarrassed to be seen with your parents, and we appreciate that. You're fiercely loyal and protective. You have a good head on your shoulders. You've lived and learned, for these short 18 years, and that will make you stronger for the next several decades ahead. Every day is a learning experience, and I hope you never forget that. We are so proud of you, and love you more than you could ever know.
I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

That was so beautiful. And as a mum of young kids, you have given me a well timed wake up call. Happy Birthday J, if you were in Australia, it'd be legal for you to get very, very drunk in public to celebrate:)

Tue Mar 20, 08:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Diana said...

Julie, this brought tears to my eyes.
Happy Birthday to your beautiful son, now the contdown for 21 begins in his head....

Wed Mar 21, 01:22:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Catherine said...

Happy Belated Birthday to the Kid.

Wed Mar 21, 09:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger DD said...

Happy Belated Birthday from me to both you and the new young man in your home.

Thu Mar 29, 02:56:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home