Thursday, June 21, 2007

All good things

...must come to an end.
She's gone.
They took her off the ventilator this morning so her family could say their goodbyes.
They didn't completely un-medicate her, so she wouldn't suffer as she gasped her last breaths.
Memorial service tomorrow. She will be cremated.
Today was their 37th wedding anniversary.
"Until death do us part."
I have/had many wishes about this journey, none of which will/did come true.
My last words to her as I stroked the peachfuzz on her bald head: "Get some rest. I'll be back tomorrow". She wiggled two fingers at me, I'm certain. I wiped the drool from around the tube in her mouth, and squeezed her toes as I left.
I want to call her cellphone just to hear her voice again.
She was only fifty-seven.

MaryAnn
8/18/49 - 6/21/07

...

9 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I'm so sorry.

Thu Jun 21, 08:29:00 PM EDT  
Blogger DD said...

Oh, Julie. Damn I am so sorry.

And yes, I have tried to brush my teeth while crying. It happens a lot.

The crying that is, which is happening right now for your friend and her family.

Fri Jun 22, 01:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kathy McC said...

(((hugs)))

Fri Jun 22, 01:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Julia said...

I am over from Catherine's.
I am so sorry.

Fri Jun 22, 03:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kati said...

I'm so sorry, Julie.

Fri Jun 22, 03:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jillian said...

Oh Sweetie, thank goodness she had you til the end. It must have made her feel braver for what she had to face. I am so sorry. (((Hugs)))

Fri Jun 22, 05:54:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie, I am so sorry to read this.

Sat Jun 23, 08:03:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sami said...

I am so sorry... My thoughts and prayers are with your friends family and you.

God death stinks... I'm sorry that your friend had to leave this earth too soon.

Sun Jun 24, 09:36:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

I'm so sorry, Julie. (((Big hug)))

(Just as I was writing this, Bob Dylan's version of "He Was a Friend of Mine" came on the radio [http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/wasafriend.html] and it seemed so appropriate)

Thu Jun 28, 05:50:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home