Thursday, August 02, 2007

Odds and Ends

Let me start by saying to my body, Ahem! Is this thing on? It's CD38: just bleed already, dammit!
In lieu of any discernable symptoms, and, of course, given my history, I believe the delay is in relation to weight gain and stress. And, of course, my history. I'm due for my annual lube & filter, but, uh, nah.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The hubster swaggered up to me while I was at the sink ('natch), gently encouraging me to drop the sponge and (::wink, wink::). I steered the conversation to missing him, and now The Boy as well, and just where is that darn kid at, anyway? etc., etc... He replied that we could always get busy at making another. Then we colapsed in a fit of laughter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of missing them both. Josh moved to VA, and is living and working with his father. I am empty-nesting like crazy. For 18 years I had that child as my lifeline to some sort of control in my world. He's my baby. Now he's all growed' up and gone. I speak to him on occasion. They come home every third weekend or so for a short visit. I went to see them a month ago and took The Girlfriend*. It doesn't seem to be affecting the The Boy nearly as much as it does me. The hubster doesn't even call me as much anymore, because they have each other for company. So, it's just me and the dogs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eventually, we will sell/rent this house and I'll be down there, too. But not for a few years, I'm guessing. We have some updates to make to this place. Money to save. Contracts to honor. I'm returning to school to add a few more letters to my title. I've joined a committee to plump up my resume'. I have my career to keep me warm at night. I have not yet utilized my abundant free time to clean obsessively. Don't see that one happenening, like, ever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of committees. Ugh. I swear to you, this is why I never stayed on one before. Boring. Seems like all we do is waste time going over the last meeting's minutes, and planning on what to do the next meeting. I don't get it. Add to that the stupid corporate buzzwords that drive me insane, and I feel like a drone that's only there in appearance only. Oh, wait. I am. My bad. I managed to fill up three lines of my performance evaluation with 'positive action words' to simply state, "I work good. Pay me well." I enhanced my accomplishments by restating my capabilities, augmenting my efficiency while enriching my proficiencies, and exercised solid judgment as I implemented working knowledge of my responsibilities and validated my goals. Or whatever. Did get a good raise, though, so bullshit is alive and well in my world. Oh yeah, and it was fiscally sound.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, I rarely watch TV. Never daytime television, but on occasion I can catch a prime-time show. As it was last night, when I caught the finale' of K of Q. I do enjoy this program on occasion, maybe catch a rerun now and then, have no real idea what has been going on. Didn't know it was the end, until I noticed it ran over 30 minutes, over 45 minutes, and hey! I've been watching bits and pieces of this for an hour now! (While making a meatloaf, doing dishes, talking on the phone, and paying bills...) As is my tendency, I have to complain about commercials. Naturally, I have seen several that get my goat, but I have to say that KFC is killing me. Why does KENTUCKY fried chicken have "Sweet home ALABAMA" as their theme song? Aaaand, am I the only one who is irritated by the background noises in their version of this music that include a camera shutter and what sounds like a backward-track of girls screaming under water? I have noticed for quite awhile that advertisers put in doorbells and phones ringing to grab your attention, if only on a subconscious level. My dogs really noticed this first. Grrrr. On to the show. WTF? I shouldn't have been surprised. Everyone knows that is how it happens in real life, right? Assholes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "send" button on my cell phone quit working. I'm not eligible for a new phone until October of '08. I don't have insurance. I sort of want a different style of phone, but mostly I don't. Currently, (until it drives me insane), I can only call people in my contact list by choosing menu>phonebook>find>options>call. Ditto for retrieving missed calls, no more single-click access. A few extra steps, no real aggravation; makes me wonder just how lazy I really am when I ::sigh:: each time I have to do it this way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In other news, with the departure of my son and the less-frequent visits from the husband, the only people left in this world to look after my widowed mother-in-law and her spinster sister are the SIL and myself. Being as they are both elderly, but not yet demented, they remain living in their own homes even though they can barely get around and need near-constant supervision. SIL (who is single) lives with MIL. Aunt-in-law lives up the street from them. I live two neighborhoods away, over a mountain and under a tree. (Just kidding, I have no tree). Usually, the burden lies with the SIL who is closer in proximity as well as in relation. I am called upon as the needs arise. And arise they have. I'm sorry, was I complaining of being bored and feeling alone? I rescind those comments, effective immediately.
AIL is currently in the hospital. MIL has had a few hospitalizations herself in recent years. Our new goal is to get these two old birds together in one house, so they can have each other for company, and it makes it easier for SIL to do whatever it is that she does. The obvious solution would be for the three of them to inhabit the larger home up the street once some renovations for accessibility are made. I shall dub it "Old Maid Haven".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The hubster has told me he picked out my birthday gift. Says it's something I've been wanting for a while. There are only 3 things I can think of that I've mentioned. He says it's not a ring, and its not a new crockpot. I can only assume it is a Mustang.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of birthdays, and home renovation. It's that time of year again, my annual "big" vacation time off of work when I plan an extended visit to my parent's in Va. Beach. We will recall last year when my plans for sun and fun were thwarted by the Big Bathroom Breakdown that resulted in completely gutting the room and making it so freaking awesome I never want to leave it. Wonder if this year we will be working on the OMH. Groan. If I have to spend one more birthday covered in gypsum dust, I will cry. 38, if any of you were wondering. Thirty.fucking.eight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As an added bonus of having to search my phone listings to make a call from the cell, I realized I still have MaryAnn's numbers. I miss her so much. I called her home number the other day just to hear her outgoing message on the machine. I wonder if her husband cancelled her cell service. I considered calling it, too. I joked (to myself, and her) about the roaming charges. She would have found that amusing. I often think about her looking after Nick for me, holding him. Gives me a little solace, I suppose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brings to mind another post, for another time, about how I deal with myself and others. I'm still working on interpersonal relationships. A little bit of soul searching has enlightened me, even though I still need to enact some changes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*The Girlfriend. Lovely gal. Longest relationship either of them have had in their short lives. Her mom and step dad moved the family down to SC last winter. When Josh was still here, they were able to see each other frequently, as she came back to visit from time to time. We flew her in for Prom. Of course, there was no "graduation ceremony", but she would have been here for that, too. She came in to stay with her grandma for a good chunk of the summer, before The Boy got on the job with his dad. That's how she got to come along with me for a visit. For her birthday, Josh bought her some jewelry. A nice necklace, perhaps? Earrings, a bracelet? Nope. He gave her a ring. A RING, of all things! With the little disclaimer that it wasn't really a promise ring, but, you know, they are going together and all. (He cringes when I say "going steady", because that sounds so old-fashioned, you know). The ring is a very nice gold band with set-in diamonds, just like I've been wanting, but never manage to get. G said he was upstaged by the kid, yet again. They have a theme song. "Hey there, Del!la.h". Months ago I switched our family plan over to unlimited minutes because they talk for hours on end. He's going down there (instead of coming home to see his poor old mother) next week. I like the girl very much, as do we all, and am impressed by my son's ability to stay focused on one thing for such a duration. They know they have a couple of years ahead of them before they are allowed to get TOO serious, and as time and young love goes, well, you know. In the back of my mind, I see two scenarios, both of them with glaring exclamation points and a giant "crap" thrown in for good measure. I am trying to step back and let it run its course, while still trying to be a good mother whose advice and meddling is unwelcome. Man, this is rough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guess that's all I have to share today. Have a splendid week/end!

4 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

The Old Maid Haven sounds rather quaint. Does it come with that funky old person smell or will you have that imported from Florida?

If you get a mustang for your birthday (38? Pffft.), then you can break it in by driving my way. I promise it would be all that and nothing all at the same time!

(yes, I'm still alive, just not in the mood to post)

Thu Aug 02, 05:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank GOD someone else noticed the KFC song. I hate their commericals. Hate, them. they make me crazy.

I am glad to know that someone else can post in the brilliant scattered way you do/did. Yes, I followed it, everyline of it - the little separaters were a good trick - I may steal that idea.

Tue Aug 07, 04:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

It's great to get an update from you! Hope you have a great birthday with your parents. Glad you don't have to spend it covered in reno dust. I'll be 38 in just a few months, so you're not alone...

BTW, have you ever had your FSH tested? I know it's probably *not* the case, but sometimes wonky cycles can be the harbinger of your system shutting down. If this were the case and you caught it now while you still have cycles, you'd have a chance to get a bit more aggressive before it was too late. An FSH test done at the beginning of your cycle could give you some insight. Just a thought (and I really am not trying to scare you!).

If you get a Mustang, will you get to choose the colour? ;)

Sun Aug 12, 11:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Way back in '93 or so I had so many tests done including all my various horomones; I remember that my LH was behaving badly. Most everything is related to my PCOS. Before the world heard of "metabolic syndrome", my current doc put me on glucophage to help straighten things out a little. It worked for the periods, but not for the fertility. Then we thought it might be DH, until I managed to get pregnant with and subsequently lose #2,3,and 4. Now I just wait for lightnening to strike me again. But I'm certainly not opposed to some retesting, because these eggs are nearing the end of their shelf-life anyway. Omlettes, anyone?

Sun Aug 12, 05:35:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home