Sunday, June 18, 2006

That's odd

I stopped by the cemetery yesterday to check on Nick. When I got home, G stopped himself before asking how he was doing. It's weird. Today I thanked him for being such a wonderful father. He admitted The Boy had turned out okay, after all, anyway. I told him he was a father to more than just The Boy, and he joked the dogs had turned out okay in the end, too. We sort of had to chuckle at that. We've raised one Boy and many animals in our 18 years together. That counts for something. Somehow he can't quite bring himself to include the babies we've lost. Nick is really the only one he grieves, because he was the only one that seemed real. He got to hold him, and count all his parts, and see the chin-dimple that rivals his own.
The others just seem like a passing glint of hope.
I suppose it is for this reason that we don't discuss making more. He knows I want more, and I'm still trying, but he doesn't want to be all wrapped up in the process. After we lost the little girl, he told me he was done. That's it. No mas. Nyet. Fin. I told him I was not done yet, and bargained with him for one more shot. I told him I could not handle another late loss, but an early loss would be tolerable. He said 'whatever', and the discussion was shelved. Secretly, I intended to keep any future pregnancies to myself until "the danger zone" was passed; I now know, however, that is the funniest damn idea I've had. The whole time is a fucking danger zone. But, I told myself, if I could make it past 16 weeks or 20 weeks... huh. Yeah. Then it would seem like something tangible and I'd give up. Throw a few 6-13 week losses in there and I could almost overlook them. Almost. I'm not made of stone, you know. (Please understand this in the sarcastic tone I am famous for). To explain this a little better, in case I'm talking in circles, we are trying. He knows we're trying. It's not being done in some clandestine secret manner that would shock him to find the half-used vial of hcg sitting in the door of the fridge. We just don't discuss it. He doesn't want to know how sticky my snatch snot is, what my temp was this morning, or what cycle day I'm at. He knows that when he is summoned to perform, he is getting hassle-free nookie, and that alone is worth it.
For this weekend's screwapalooza, after the third forced insemination, it sort of went into a downward spiral. I couldn't even perform, and that's almost impossible. I'll back up here by saying that the hubster never has difficulty finding the wherewithal to do his duty. I'd go so far as to say he finds it almost enjoyable. So I erroneously assumed that this time should be no different. We're putting away laundry, The Boy is out doing whatever it is 17 year old boys do, and I lock us in the room. No response. I begin to undress. No response. I start to undress him. "What are you doing?"
Checking on the package, darlin'... why don't you come over here and let me handle it with care... (or something else slightly less grody, I forget).
"You sure want to get pregnant again, don't you?"
That was it.
That one phrase right there ruined me for the rest of Saturday on into today.
I can't explain it.
Maybe that's how they (The Men) feel when they know they're being used. I don't know. Thing is, 'I'm' not being used, and there's no reason why that conversation needed to affect me so.
The rest of the conversation was about as exhausting as our sloppy attempt to complete the transaction.
What are you talking about?
"You, wanting all this sex all of a sudden."
So, I like to make love with my husband... nothing wrong with that.
"It's just weird. I know what you're up to."
What I'm "up to"?
"Well, aren't you hoping to get knocked up?"
Are you new here?
"Nevermind, I shouldn't complain."
Right, so just shut up and do me.
But it was sad. Pathetic. Miserable. I've never felt so... ashamed? I can't find the right word.
This is our last attempt at impregnation for a while. I can't say how long of a while, because I'll be 37 soon. Maybe I'll give it up all together. But I can't. I just can't. I can't give up, but I also can't continue. I've had it. I have other things I need to be focusing on, and this just ain't no fun no more. Because it was such a fucking hoot in the past. Whee.
The hubster is accepting an opportunity to travel more than he has in been in the past 10 years. Instead of being based one small state away, he will be driving far and wide for weeks at a time, taking in the country's charms and "taking a break" from whatever it is he needs a break from. On some twisted level I wonder if it is me, but I do know that his current job is taking it's toll on us all. Maybe he needs this. Maybe I do. I don't have any answers. I don't even have any questions. I just am.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

Ah yes, the 'you-only-want-me-for-my-sperm' type conversations that get you waaaay in the mood. And those sort of conversations made me feel desperate and embarrassed and yet we go on and do it anyway. UGH. It's an awful thing and I'm sorry you are having to deal with all of it.

Mon Jun 19, 08:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Catherine said...

I just am.

I wonder if he doesn't feel the same way?

I'm sorry. I know how this hurts and I'm just so sorry.

Mon Jun 19, 09:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kellie said...

Oh Julie - that sucks on so many levels. I've been there with the sex thing - all it takes it one little statement and the moment is right out the door.

Mon Jun 19, 09:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger DD said...

You should have said, "You're lucky I want a baby or else you'd be getting to know Rosie Palm really well..." What a poop. He could've at least saved the discussion for a neutral time.

I totally get where you're coming from, though. I really do.

Mon Jun 19, 02:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kati said...

I know those "conversations" unfortunately too well myself. Sorry you have to deal with it (on top of everything else) right now.

Mon Jun 19, 04:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger laura said...

all this knowledge about what we're doing is so helpful in getting the job done...but then sometimes it all gets in the way. here's hoping this weekend is the last death-march-style sex you'll ever need. from here on out, may it be all wild donkey sex, all the time!

p.s. this is the grossest and best thing i've read in i don't know when:

"how sticky my snatch snot is"

Mon Jun 19, 06:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Diana said...

I left you a comment here yesterday and now I dont think it saved...
Hmmmm.
The computer must have eaten it...

Tue Jun 20, 10:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

I hate it when the men bring that stuff up -- yeah, we want your sperm, get over it already!! (I hate it more when they get in a fight with you and *don't* have sex at all when you're supposed to, but that's beside the point.)

Off topic a bit, but do you know why new entries of your blog would not be showing up on Bloglines? Did you disable your feed perhaps? Just want to know if so, so I remember (or try at least) to check in manually.

Tue Jun 20, 12:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sue said...

Ditto what Jill said. Nothing like TTC to (pardon the pun) fuck up your sex life.

Wed Jun 21, 07:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Ann Howell said...

What a wild ride this is, eh? Remember the good old days when we all thought that as soon as we'd go off the pill we'd have live babies 9 months later? Snatch snot never even came into it...

Thu Jun 22, 02:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sami said...

Having had a discussion along those lines I know how frustrating they are. His timing could have been better... you know after the screwapalooza weekend... I'd kick him for you, but I doubt that would help. I'm hoping your 2ww goes quickly and ends positively.

Fri Jun 23, 02:41:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home